The Chief Justice Walter P. Stacy Papers
The papers of former Chief Justice Walter P. Stacy were for years thought to have been destroyed. However, in 2007 through the efforts of the Society some of his papers were donated to the Society archives. Horace Stacy, of the Robenson bar and a newphew of the chief justice contacted the step-sister of Stacy. Mrs. Ink generously donated important papers of Chief Justice Stacy to the Society. Below are a few of the materials which relate to the life and career of North Carolina’s longest serving chief justice.
Chief Justice in Chambers
Conference room of the Court while in the Ruffin Building (1914-1940)
The chair in which the Chief Justice is sitting is housed in the Legal History Center, Justice Building. The chair has been placed on loan by Sen. and Mrs. Robert Morgan of Lillington.
Stacy appointment from President Herbert Hoover
Chief Justice Stacy was appointed by four different presidents to mediation boards.
The Stacy Court